Download page Installing HEC-RAS.
You install HEC-RAS using the program HEC-RAS_Version_Setup.exe. The Setup program installs the software, user's manuals, sample applications, and the Help system.
This chapter discusses the hardware and system requirements needed to use HEC-RAS, how to install the software, and how to uninstall the software.
You cannot simply copy files from the HEC and run HEC-RAS. You must use the Setup program, which decompresses and installs the files to the appropriate directories, as well as registers certain files (dll's, etc…) with the operating system.
Hardware and Software Requirements
Before you install the HEC-RAS software, make sure that your computer has at least the minimum required hardware and software. In order to get the maximum performance from the HEC-RAS software, recommended hardware and software is shown in parentheses. This version of HEC-RAS will run on a microcomputer that has the following:
- Intel Based PC or compatible machine with Pentium processor or higher (an Intel I5 or higher is recommended. If you are going to perform 2D modeling, then a machine with multiple cores is recommended).
- A hard disk with at least 1 Gigabyte of free space (10 Gigabytes or more is recommended).
- A minimum of 8 Gigabyte of RAM if using Windows 7, Windows 8, or windows 10 (16 Gigabytes or more is recommended).
- A mouse, touch pad, or touch screen.
- Color Video Display (Recommend running in Super VGA (1024x768) or higher, and as large a monitor(s) as possible).
- HEC-RAS Version 5.0.4 and newer will only run on 64-bit Windows operating systems, including 64-bit versions of Windows 7, 8.0, 8.1, and 10. Also, make sure your operating system is up to date with all of the Microsoft patches for that version of the operating system before trying to install HEC-RAS.